These savoury muffins are easy to make and are great for lunches, afternoon snacks and playdate snacks. You can make twelve muffins with the quantities listed below. I usually freeze them once cooled, as they are great for lunchboxes when out and about.
I usually grab one out of the freezer in the morning and let it defrost at room temperature so it is ready to eat by lunchtime. you can add different combinations of veggies and also cheeses. I had a small about of parmesan cheese left so added that in with the cheddar which worked well.
I made a fresh batch today as we hosted a playdate. Arya and her friend both walked around the apartment saying “hmmmm, yum” as the muffins were baking!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 220g wholewheat flour
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
- 50g parmesan cheese, grated
- 150ml whole milk
- 40g whole milk plain yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp mixed dried herbs or oregano
- a couple of twists of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
- In a large bowl add the carrot, zucchini, cheeses, scallion, garlic, herbs and black pepper and mix.
- Then add the milk, yogurt, oil and eggs and mix well ensuring all the ingredients are incorporated.
- In another bowl add the baking powder to the flour and mix.
- Then add the flour to the bowl containing the wet ingredients. Fold in carefully until all the flour is added.
- Line a muffin tray with baking cups and divide the mixture equally into each baking cup. I used a 6 hole muffin tray so did two rounds of baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown in colour and cooked through.
If you are freezing allow the muffins to cool completely before storing in a freezer bag or air tight container.
The muffins can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months
You can also refrigerate the muffins in an airtight container for up to 48 hours and reheat.
Note Wholemeal (UK) is the same as Wholewheat (US) flour.
I peeled the zucchini before grating as wasn’t sure if the girls would eat the muffins if they saw some visible green!