Chicken Tikka is a popular Indian dish in which the chicken is marinated in a spiced yogurt marinade. It can be served in many different ways for example as a salad, with rice, in a naan or pitta or even as a sandwich.
I make two different marinades; one which is mild for my toddler and the other which is medium-spicy for me and my husband (check out my other post for the medium-spicy version). The longer you leave the chicken in the yogurt mix to marinate in the fridge the better as this allows time for the spices to mix well with the chicken.
The quantities below for the toddler chicken tikka make enough for one dinner and a small portion for lunch the next day. To add variety for my toddler I tend to serve the chicken tikka for dinner with roasted potatoes and steamed vegetables. For her lunch the next day I serve the left over chicken tikka with a side salad and a warmed naan bread.
I recommend preparing the chicken tikka the night before. Alternatively you can marinate the chicken for 6-8 hours before cooking.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 165g skinless and boneless chicken breast, cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 100g whole milk plain yogurt
- 3 large garlic cloves, grated
- 3g root ginger, grated
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/8 tsp haldi (turmeric) powder
- 1/8 tsp garam masala powder
- In a bowl add all the ingredients listed above except the chicken and mix well.
- Then add the chicken pieces and mix again ensuring all the chicken pieces are coated well in the marinade.
- Cover the bowl well with plastic wrap or cling film and refrigerate overnight or for at-least 6-8 hours.
- When ready to cook the chicken take the bowl out of the fridge and preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a roasting pan add the chicken tikka. Ensure you take out any left over marinade in the bowl and add to the pan and mix well.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes remove the foil and take out and discard any watery liquid from the pan using a spoon.
- Stir the chicken and return to the oven uncovered for a further 10 minutes allowing the marinade to dry up.
- Take out of the oven and check the chicken is cooked through and serve.
Cooked chicken can be refrigerated once cooled in an airtight container for up to 24 hours
Ensure leftover chicken is heated thoroughly before serving. You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven.