I like to make these on a Friday night for a quick and tasty end of week dinner. This recipe is super easy so ideal for the whole family and you can add more spice to the adult portions by adding jalapeños.
You can literally try any other vegetable combination and it is perfect for using up leftover veg from the week. Here I have used green and red peppers, mushrooms and scallions but in the past I have also added chopped spinach which works really well.
I serve these quesadillas with guacamole and salsa, if you can make both from scratch then that would be perfect. I didn’t have enough time so I served ready made. You can also try using a different cheese such as monterey jack or mozzarella, I have used good old cheddar cheese for mine.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- 6 large wholewheat tortillas
- grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 a green or red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped (include the green leafy parts)
- 4 large mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil and extra for frying
- jalapeños, finely chopped (optional)
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan and set on a medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the garlic and fry for a minute, do not let it brown.
- Then add the pepper and scallions and fry until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Next add in the mushrooms and fry until soft and cooked.
- Then add the tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are soft take the pan off the heat.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside. Clean the pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil, using a clean tissue wipe off any excess oil.
- Heat the pan over a medium heat. Once the oil is hot then begin to build the quesadillas by adding a tortilla to the pan, then lay grated cheese evenly on the tortilla. Next add a third of the veg mix and spread out evenly. Add the jalapeños if using. Top with a little more grated cheese and then add the second tortilla.
- Fry for a couple of minutes until the bottom tortilla is golden, then carefully flip the quesadilla to the other side and cook until the second side is golden as well.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining tortilla and veg filling.