One of my favourite orders in an Indian restaurant is a mango lassi. I wanted to make my mango lassi recipe more filling for breakfast so I tried adding banana and oats – it turned out delicious.
This recipe is so quick and my toddler enjoys this as a midmorning snack. I often make this for my breakfast too. You can also make this the night before so it is ready in the morning to grab out of the fridge.
I have also tried using a bit less milk so it is of a thicker consistency and letting the oats soak overnight in the yogurt and milk. By the morning you have a nice thick oat yogurt breakfast. Just add more milk if you are after a smoothie consistency.
Great for the summer and especially as we enter the mango season. The best mangos to make a lassi and this smoothie are the yellow skinned ones often called honey or Ataulfo mangoes.
Prep Time: 5 mins
- A very ripe mango, (approximately 80g), cut into chunks
- 50g banana, sliced
- 45g plain whole milk yogurt
- 230ml whole milk
- 20g oats
- pinch of ground cardamon (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a large jug and use a handheld blender to blend well to a smooth consistency. Alternatively use a compact blender.
- Either serve or refrigerate (covered) overnight.
Use whole milk and whole milk yogurt to provide a more creamy and thicker consistency.
Use rolled or old fashioned oats.