My toddler bambino often picks out any veggies she can see on her pizza. As a solution to ensure she gets more veg into her diet, I make this ‘hidden’ vegetable tomato sauce which works great as a pizza base sauce or with pasta. The sauce has three ‘hidden’ veggies in, while my toddler thinks she’s eating a cheese and tomato pizza little does she know she’s eating red onions, mushrooms and peppers!
I like to make a batch of this sauce and freeze individual portions. When I need a quick meal for her I simply take out a portion from the freezer and place in the fridge overnight to defrost. The next day I can then rustle up a quick pasta or pizza for her lunch or dinner.
My husband and I also love this hidden veg sauce. Here I have used naan breads for our pizza bases but pitta breads also work well. For the adult portions I added garlic, jalapenos and vegetables as toppings. The ingredients below will make enough sauce for three naan breads. I used grated cheddar cheese and sliced mozzarella.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 7 oz (1/2 a can) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 60g red onion, chopped
- 80g mushrooms, chopped
- 60g red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, grated or crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- couple of twists of black pepper
- 3 naan breads
- cheese(s) of your choice
- toppings of your choice (optional)
- Set a medium sized pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the onion and red pepper and saute until soft.
- Then add in the mushrooms and garlic and saute until cooked, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, black pepper and herbs, mix well and simmer on a low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Blitz the sauce using a hand held blender or compact blender until smooth.
- Spread the sauce on your naan bread and top with cheese(s) and additional toppings if using.
- Place the naan on a baking tray and grill on medium to high until the cheese is melted and golden and serve.