I recently discovered the 16 bean soup mix by Goya. This 16oz bag actually contains 16 different types of beans. At only a couple of dollars, one bag makes enough soup for 8 adults, such good value for money!
This soup is hearty and healthy and will keep you full for ages. Beans are an excellent source of fibre and protein and in addition contain so many other nutrients such as iron and magnesium.
My toddler bambino has recently started to enjoy soups, she particularly likes ‘dip dab’..what she means is dipping her buttered toast into her soup!
Prep Time: 15 mins (plus soaking time, 1hr)
Cook Time: 40 mins
- a bag of Goya 16 bean mix
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 large cloves of garlic, grated or crushed
- 1 small leek, sliced (celery can be used instead)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp mixed dried herbs
- few twists of black pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 dried red chilli, chopped (optional)
- hot water and three cubes of chicken or veg stock, crumbled. (mine were 9g each)
- Check the beans thoroughly for stones, soil and other foreign objects. To soak the beans place in a large pan and add 6 cups of boiling hot water and place on high heat, once you reach boiling take off the heat and set aside for 1 hour.
- Then drain and rinse the beans thoroughly in warm water. Set aside.
- In another large pan add the oil and heat on medium.
- Once hot add the carrots, onions, leeks and garlic and sauté for 5 mins or until soft.
- Add the drained beans, bay leaf, dried chili, herbs, and stock cubes and mix well.
- Next add the boiling hot water (enough to just cover the beans). Bring to a boil then simmer uncovered for half hour or until the beans and veg are soft and cooked. You may need to add additional hot water during the cooking time. Stir frequently.
- Take off the heat and discard the bay leaf and season with black pepper. Using a handheld stick blender blitz to the desired consistency.
- Serve warm.
You may need to add additional hot water during cooking. Always keep enough water in the pan to just cover the beans.
You can refrigerate leftovers for up to three days in an air tight container. Just reheat in the microwave.