My toddler bambino loves to bake with me. I have been meaning to make some savoury cookies for a while now. These cheesy cookies are very easy to make and you can let your little ones help too. The apartment smelt so yummy while these were baking.
I used wholewheat flour and flax meal for added nutrition. These cookies are very addictive so please be warned…I ended up eating way too many!
They are great for kids as well as adults and would be an excellent addition to a cheese board. We made them very quickly and didn’t bother about getting them all perfectly circular or uniform, but they still tasted amazing. You can try using a different type of cheese, we used good old cheddar.
Yield: approximately 30
Prep Time: 15 mins (plus refrigeration time)
Cook Time: 25 mins
- 130g cheddar cheese, grated
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 130g whole-wheat flour
- 25g flax meal
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground paprika
- couple twists of black pepper
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, flax meal, thyme, paprika and black pepper and mix well.
- Next add the cheese and melted butter and mix well
- Using your hands combine the mixture to form a log (I made two logs as it was easier for the dough to hold). Don’t worry if there are cracks, just use your hands to smooth these out.
- Cover the logs tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours until hard.
- About half hour before you want to bake, take the logs out so they can thaw at room temp as they will be quite hard.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Remove the plastic wrap and slice the logs using a sharp knife to form discs that are 1/4 inch thick. You may need to slightly reshape the discs using your hands to make them more uniform. If they are a bit crumbly don’t worry just smooth them out using your hands.
- Place the discs on the baking tray and bake for 25 minutes. The tops should turn golden.
- Let them cool before serving as the melted cheese with be extremely hot.
Once cooled store in an airtight container for up to three days.