My toddler bambino goes through phases of eating veggies or picking them out of a meal and throwing them on the floor. I tried this ‘hidden’ veg risotto for the first time and it turned out great. The whole family enjoyed this for dinner, including my baby bambino. I did blitz the risotto to make it a bit more smooth in consistency for my baby bambino.
This risotto contains tomatoes, onions and red bell pepper. My toddler had no clue and said “hmmm tasty” between mouthfuls. I added extra cheddar cheese to her portion as she absolutely loves cheese. This recipe is definitely one to try for the whole family. The quantities below will make enough for three toddler portions.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1hr 15 mins
- 150g risotto rice
- 100g tomatoes, chopped
- 60g onion, chopped
- 60g red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 250ml veg stock (extra may be needed during cooking)
- grated cheddar cheese
- black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C
- In a medium sized pan add the oil and set on a medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot add the onions, bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes or until cooked and soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and sauté for another 4 minutes or until soft.
- Take the pan off the heat and blitz to form a smooth sauce, using either a handheld blender or a compact blender.
- Mix the risotto rice with the tomato sauce and add to a small ceramic baking dish.
- Pour 250ml of stock over the risotto rice and mix well.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes or until the risotto is soft and cooked. During cooking stir the risotto frequently (every 10-15 minutes). In addition if the risotto is drying add more hot water or stock a little at a time.
- Season with ground pepper, sprinkle the cheddar cheese and serve.
You can refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 48 hours and then reheat in the microwave.
I used a small Le Creuset ceramic baking dish (7 inches x 5 inches x 2 inches).